Friday, May 17, 2013

It's a Watercolor Friday for Friends With Flair

Happy, happy Friday, everyone!  I'm going with the assumption that FWF is up and running this week.  I went through withdrawal last week, checking the Unity blog about 20 times to see if the link was up and ready yet.  My new year's resolution to link up every Friday in 2013 has now been broken.  Or has it?  My post can be found here from last Friday, if you missed it.  It was a farewell post to my favorite online retailer that closed their doors that day, and to design team members I had worked with for nearly a year.  Sad day -- company closing, no FWF.

But, it's a new Friday, and I have Unity to share.  I used the April Sentiment Kit from Unity for both the roses and the sentiment on both these card.  I made this card first:


I used distress inks on the flowers, rolling a second color on the outside of the blossoms, then a spritzed them with water to get the watercolor effect and stamped on watercolor paper. I used Amy Tangerine Sketchbook 6x6 papers, and some 3 Girl Jam crinkle ribbon.  I got the card done, stepped back, and decided I didn't like it.  Do you ever do that? So, I started over.  Here's the second card.

I based it on this sketch by Sunday Sketch and Stamp:

And, with a little tweaking, here is what I created:


I used the same watercolor technique, but just layered things up a little differently.  I used the same Amy Tangerine Sketchbook 6x6 papers, some Timeless Twine, bling by CTMH, and some heart sequins I found in my stash.  But, for some reason, I like this card much better.  Funny how that happens.

I'm sending the first card to my 93 year old friend who loves everything I make for him.  He thinks I'm a card making super star.  The second one will most likely be this week's card to my BFF.

I'm entering these cards in the following challenges:

Sunday Sketch and Stamp -- challenge #156, Francesca's sketch
Ribbon Carousel -- Celebrations (spring)
Simon Says Stamp -- flower power
Crafty Creations Challenges -- KISS (keep it sweet and simple)
Sister Act Card Challenge -- anything goes
Marker Pop -- May flowers
D.L.Art Thankful Thursday -- #109 Flowers

29 comments:

  1. Lol! I did the same thing last Friday! Your cards are so pretty! I agree, I like the second one the best, too! Did spring arrive there yet? It was almost 100* here Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card!Love how you did the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, both the cards are pretty but yes.. i do prefer the second one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great take on the sketch. Lovely cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie! I know what you mean, about last week. I think I did the same thing too ;) Your cards are lovely, and I think it's so nice to have a 93 yr old friend who adores everything you make. That's so special! Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cards are beautiful! Love those flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty inking of the flowers and petals. Lovely stamping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors! I like both cards, the little gems add that special touch of sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunshine, smiles & flowers - what could possibly make for a better spring day? Great cheerful card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie, what a pretty card!
    Currently it is so hard for local craft stores - I know because I am juggling as hard as I can to stay viable.
    Hope Spring has arrived for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this card is just amazing. I love the bold colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like you keep checking back every little bit hoping that the FWF link would be up. I say.. nope... you are still good with your resolution!! Love your work as always!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so great I love the card and I love the papersuch pretty colors
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday #109 Flowers challenge, Have a great day
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the watercolor technique typing used.....beautiful result! Sorry to hear about your favorite store closing....so sad :( funny how we get attached even when it's online and not a store you walk into!!! Thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog! I'm happy to be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wore a path from my desk to the computer, waiting for FwF last week. Here we are and it's a new week. You have really shown some flair this week, for sure! Love all that pretty bling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that flowers image. Cool card.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love both cards, wish I could do watercolor, mine always end up in "file 13." :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the first card but it maybe gets a bit overtaken by the patterned paper, while the second card is so nicely balanced. The watercolour flowers look awesome! (btw, thanks for the follow!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too went through withdrawal without FWF. You didn't break your streak, in my opinion, because you still posted, but there wasn't a linky. Both cards are fantastic. I love the extra inked edges of the second one. It really pops the flowers. No doubt that your friend will adore it. He is very lucky to have someone as special as you in his life to make him smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I did the same last week great cards, I am still mourning the loss of Crop Chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  21. Julie, what SWEET cards with lots of wonderful details.
    How FUN that your 93-year old friend is the recipient of your LOVELY card.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Julie, you make such sweet & thoughtful cards! And of course you're a card-making rock star! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both cards are beautiful! Love the bright, summery colors!!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful colours!! I love the variegated stamp! Thanks for joining us at Sister Act Card Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete