Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mixed Up Media Chix Blog Hop and Of COURSE! Friends With Flair


It's here! It's here! The art journal hop is here! Here's the line-up for today's mixed up media hop in case you get, well, miXed uP!

 
  •  
     
    Before we get to this mixed up media event, I want to show you the mixed up weather I've been dealing with.
     

    I'm writing this post Thursday evening.  It's been snowing here since last evening. We have about 17 inches of snow.  These pictures were taken this morning.  There's probably another foot more snow now.  I barely made it TO work, then barely made it home.  It's May! We're supposed to have flowers, sunshine, SPRING!  Not a major winter snowstorm!  Yah! Mixed up it is.
     
    And, very fitting for this Mixed Up Media Girlz Hop that I've gotten involved in.  Do you ever agree to something, then think, "oh my, what have I done?".  Well, that's exactly what happened to me here.  Maria does these fantastic art journals all the time and I've been thinking I need to try it.  So, when she mentioned this hop, I thought, "that's just what I need to get me going, plenty of time to figure out how to do an art journal."  Then, all these REAL art journalists started signing up for the hop and displaying their work, and well, here I am.  Over my head.  But that's art.  And that's how you learn.  And, here's what I have to show you. 
     
    AND!!!! If you leave me nice comments, I'll give away some blog candy, LOL!!
     
    OK, this first journal piece I did was on some paper that I had from a Fancy Pants Memo Notebook.  The paper was too thin. It curled and bled through. But, it was what I had at the time.
     
    Since it's art, I named the piece.  It's called, "leftovers"
     

    I had lots of scraps on my work space -- too nice to throw away, so I ended up using them on this page.  I used a stencil in the lower left corner, but didn't like how it turned out, so spent some time "fixing " it.  The floral silhouette stamps are Unity/Donna Downey Insightful Meadows.  I used Studio Calico mists on this page.  Here's a couple close ups:
     
    




    This quote about art seemed very appropriate for the new mixed media maven that I am.



    After I did this first page, I got an actual art journal, with thicker paper to work with.  I did a 2-page spread in my new art journal.  Here's what it looks like:


    I used some wonderful Dylusions ink sprays on this page, along with Hero Arts neon inks.  There's Unity stamps all over the place, too, including that big beautiful butterfly, called, appropriately enough, "Bold Butterfly".  Here's a close up of it.



    And, you can see the quote I used on these pages.  So true! Art DOES make me happy. And, here's another close up of these pages.


    You can see a Christy Tomlinson (Unity) background stamp, and one more quote from the Donna Downey (Unity) 'Art and Possibility ' set.  The "I am an artist" quote is a little tongue in cheek on this page.  I intentionally got ink on the rim of the stamp so it would stamp "dirty" (leave a mark).  Yeah, I'm an artist alright.  The smaller butterflies are a Close To My Heart set called "Butterfly Kisses".

    Oh, I forgot to tell you the title of these 2 pages.  Ready?  "Splatter. splatter. art."

    That's it for the art journaling.  I truly hope that Maria organizes this again.  I want to do more of this and try something more technical.  I have some ideas in my head.  I just have to find time to put them on paper.  Deal, Maria?  Another hop?

    OK.  I mentioned blog candy.  I've got a giveaway going on this week.  I've had a very busy bloggy week of inspiration, posting everyday since Sunday, and participating in 2 hops.  To celebrate all this inspiration, I'm giving away a 6x6 paper pad, some stick pins from Pinque peacock, some twine, ribbon, bling, a stamp set, and miscellaneous scrappy goodies.  To be eligible for this blog candy, please follow my blog and leave a comment on this post.  To increase your chances of winning, comment on my posts yesterday (May 2), Wed May 1, Tuesday April 30, Monday April 29, and Saturday May 4.

    And, because I somehow made it to 200+ followers this week, I'm going to choose 2 winners when this is all said and done.  Winners will be announced early next week.

    That's it for me.  If you're participating in any National Scrapbooking Day events over the weekend, I hope for much scrappy mojo for you.  Now, hop on off to Chris' blog to see her artsy goodness.  I just love her style and so will you!










     

    37 comments:

    1. Way to go, Julie! Way to jump in with both feet and give mixed media a try! Your pages are great! Love the splatters and butterflies and quotes! Don't love the snow....we got about 8" but most of it melted today...spring, where ARE YOU?!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Two great pages! Love the use of scraps, but also love the splitter-splatters of inky goodness! Just love butterflies!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Good for you to try something new! I have looked at these art Journals from afar an a admired them. Congrats on reaching 200 followers :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. both the pages are unique! my favorite would be the butterflies :) love the split splats! :D

      ReplyDelete
    5. Both your pages ar wonderful, I love the tiny flowers on the firts page and the butteflies on the second.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Holy Moly Julie!! These are great!!! Well done!

      Congrats on making it to 200+!!! woohoo!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ooohh-Spring will come....IT WILLL!!!........eventually!

        Delete
    7. Gorgeous pages - such delicate spritzy backgrounds - so pretty! Loving this journalling blog hop...
      Alison x

      ReplyDelete
    8. First eeek snow ...the weather has went to pot, we missed spring and now meant to be summer yet it`s still cold and the rain is pouring down today.wishing you some sunshine Julie!

      Your pages woohoohoo both gorgeous..love your first one and the stamps are amongst my favourites!

      Your second one...stunning..loving all the splats of color and how beautiful that butterfly is!
      hugs
      xoxox

      ReplyDelete
    9. Julie, I love this. I love butterflies. They make me so so happy. Thanks for sharing your awesomeness! -Lisa

      ReplyDelete
    10. HOLY MARCONI, that's a lot of snow in MAY! I dislike Summer for sure but right now we are around mid to high 60s and that is awesome. Hopefully it melts soon for ya! These pages are fantastic! I am so glad you jumped in and started an adventure with the art journaling, it's awesome! Yes I do hope we will do this again for sure.

      ReplyDelete
    11. We are having some great weather!We skipped past spring and hit summer.
      I love your pages the colours are pretty and happY!!

      ReplyDelete
    12. Hi Julie! I know it's tough going when it snows, but for folks like me who hardly see snow, it's Beautiful!! Love how everything is so pretty with a bit of snow. Keep warm ok. Your start to mixed media has gone really well!! The pages look very cool and fun. I'm too scared to get started cos I don't like ink and stuff all over my desk ;) but I love admiring the beautiful art I've seen online. Maybe someday I might get going... :) Have a fab weekend!!

      ReplyDelete
    13. Wow. I have seen some beautiful journals with Uniry stamps. So cool.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Love this - I love butterflies and can never get enough of them!

      ReplyDelete
    15. These are lovely art pages! TFS.

      ReplyDelete
    16. I can tell that you had a lot of fun making your pages! Bravo to you for trying it out! I'm still to scared to try but I LOVE seeing other peoples! Love the bright (dare I say SPRING like)colours you used!

      ReplyDelete
    17. WOWA ... you're up to 206 followers now! YAY!

      Love your art pages. Nothing like sinking yourself right into it! They are beautiful. Your first one looks like it was done on music paper. LOVE IT. And totally lovin' the mood and colors in the second...specially that huge butterfly.

      I agree, we should do these hops regularly. These are nothing but stinkin' messy fun.

      Oh, and finally. Please keep the snow to yourself. I don't want it over here. I cannot believe you have 17". That's amazing.

      ReplyDelete
    18. Great pages! This is something I've been wanting to try, and I love the title of the leftovers page....I have a LOT of leftovers!

      ReplyDelete
    19. Came over from Unity FWF. I'm lovin' all the mixed media journal stuff. These pages are inspirational.

      ReplyDelete
    20. Ok Julie....where are you at? I love your snow pictures. I posted my snow pics too. I'm in Fort Collins, CO. Anyway...I love your journal. The colors are so pretty.

      ReplyDelete
    21. Love these journal pages. You are truly inspiring.

      ReplyDelete
    22. Hi Julie,
      Your pages are wonderful.....I am so lovin your splatter art!
      Have a wonderful weekend,
      Tameko

      ReplyDelete
    23. Love, love, love the pages! I need to get myself a real art journal.

      ReplyDelete
    24. your projects are super cool.

      ReplyDelete
    25. You have been quite busy, Julie. First, let me say that I can't imaging snow in May. Wow! As for the journal creations, I am blown away. I just can't get a grasp of mixed media, and I am always totally enthralled.

      ReplyDelete
    26. That's a lot of SNOW. My goodness. It's 80 here in Florida. Your mixed media art looks great. I like all the stamping, flowers and words in there. :)

      ReplyDelete
    27. ooo I really want to try the Dylusions sprays - they look wonderful on your page. I am just starting to foray into art journals too and I think you did a fabulous job!!

      ReplyDelete
    28. Splatter splatter my friend, because you rock at it! LOVE IT!

      ReplyDelete
    29. Very nice art journal pages! :)

      ReplyDelete
    30. Love your takes on the art journal challenge. I love both lots :D TFS

      ReplyDelete
    31. Love how you draw your readers into your post so well. Great writing skills... First off the snow pic's you had my nose 2 inches from the screen , yikees/.....
      truly, art journals are like warm up exercises as you would do before a workout or a jog around the blog.... smile... Yes, those words of wisdom are truly expressed well... thanks for quoting the source of all your content, appreciate that.

      ReplyDelete
    32. Great journal Julie one of these days I will try it

      ReplyDelete
    33. (Congrats on the Unity win!!)

      ReplyDelete
    34. beautiful pages

      ReplyDelete
    35. Oooooh, look at all those beautiful butterflies! Both sets of pages, though, are wonderful!

      ReplyDelete
    36. Fabulous mixed media work, Julie! I can't believe all of that snow!!! Thankfully you have such wonderful artistic talents to keep you occupied if you are to get snowed it :) Hoping that it melts soon and reveals some gorgeous green grass and flowers for you!

      ReplyDelete