Sunday, June 12, 2016

Steampunk Owl -- for Coloring Without Boundaries

It's Showcase Time on the Lacy Sunshine Blog, and today is going to be a great showcase!  Its also the start of an Anything Goes challenge, so come join the fun!

Heather Valentin, the artist behind the incredible Lacy Sunshine Stamps, has created some wonderful new adult coloring books, available at Amazon.com.   It's also available in the Lacy Sunshine Store.

I'm showcasing Steampunk Owl today, from the Tangled Gems: Birds Coloring Book and I used Faber-Castell Poly Chromos pencils.

Here's Steampunk Owl, from the Tangled Gems Collection:




I started out coloring the green scales.  
I used:
Light Green, Leaf Green, Emerald Green, Pine Green



Next, I colored the parts that looked like metal to me.  The beak look like a shield.  
I used:  Cold Grey II, Cold Grey I, Cold Grey IV, Silver, Black
Clock and other metal parts --
Light Chrome Yellow, Naples Yellow, Green Gold, Gold, Light Flesh, Cinnamon

The, I began finding color combinations I liked, and used them in various places around the owl, trying to keep it balanced and pleasing to my eye.  
Here are the combinations:
Light Magenta, Light Purple Pink, Fuchsia
Violet, Purple Violet, Blue Violet
Light Phthalo Blue, Middle Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Blue
Cadmium Orange, Orange Glaze, Dark Cadmium Orange
Light Cobalt Blue
Cobalt Blue, Deep Cobalt Green

Here's another picture -- more coloring done, working on keeping it balanced.

More color combinations:
Burnt Ochre, Terra-cotta, Indian Red
Naples Yellow, Dark Naples Ochre, Brown Ochre
Light Phthalo Green, Phthalo Green, Dark Phthalo Green,
Crimson, Red-violet, Violet

Here's another picture, colored along a little further.  Both wings are done now, working on tail feathers.  Not much further!

This Steampunk Owl piece was so fun to color!  It challenged me in many ways.  I don't often use colored pencils, and it really made me work on color combinations, blending, and shading.  


I printed this Steampunk Owl on a 81/2 X 11 piece of Canson Mi-Tientes paper.  I have framed it in an 81/2 x11 frame, and it's hanging in my hallway.  I love it!  It is so colorful and unusual.  Just looking at this owl makes me smile!

I hope you check out the rest of the coloring pieces done by this super talented design team over on the Lacy Sunshine blog.  Then, please join in the Anything Goes challenge.  There are 2 incredible Facebook Groups to check out, too -- Coloring Without Boundaries and Lacy Sunshine Color and Craft Community.  Plus, don't forget to shop in the Lacy Sunshine Store!  There's so much to choose from, including some wonderful art classes taught by Heather Valentin herself!


No comments:

Post a Comment